The Pearls...

Last week Andrew was still busy with his work. He usually has his overtime every now and then. Sometimes he was a little bit frustrated and he really needs a break. Last Thursday they went for their annual backpacking. It was so funny because Andrew was like a child who was so excited and can’t even sleep during the night. Next week post will be his adventure during their backpacking. He said that they had a lot of fun.

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine from the Philippines sent some jewelry for me to sell as an additional income. I like the idea because I can have additional income and at the same time I would be able to help her. I also make some necklaces and bracelets.

The first time I had this purses and pearls party. And I was so happy that it went well. The jewelry is mostly fresh water pearls. These are some of the pictures of the jewelry that I have that my brother in law Nate took. (He's good with photography so if you need a photographer, we can refer you to him. Just let us know.)







For some who don’t know or have any idea about fresh water pearls, pearls are cultured which means they were produced with man intervention. People usually gather the clams then open it then put a certain particle to irritate the clam. The irritant is usually a bead like structure, called a nucleus. Fresh water, or cultured pearls, are pearls that we find most common today - they are not fake.

In the Philippines, pearls are everywhere. We prefer pearls that are small. They call it rice grain, teardrop or button shape. There is some simple things that people do to check whether the pearls are fake or not. They rub two pearls together and then you would be able to see the scratches but it will vanish when you wipe it.

Another method of testing for imitations is to rub the pearl against the surface of a front tooth. Imitation pearls are completely smooth, but natural and cultured pearls are composed of nacre platelets, which feel slightly gritty.

No comments: