Back to School

Two weeks ago I enrolled for English as second language. I take the placement exam and I should be in an advance class. Unfortunately they are not offering any advance class during the night. So my option is to take the intermediate class. For me it would be nice because it is a refresher course and I know I can learn a lot of things. For the first week we are more 20 in the class. And as the teacher asks each one of us to introduce ourselves I found out that I am the only one from the Philippines. Most of my classmates came from Mexico or South America. Most of them speak Spanish; I also have three classmates that came from Asia. But they speak other languages. Two of them are monks from Thailand and one (who is not a monk) from Taiwan. And they are so kind and nice. It was so amazing I'm not just learning English instead I am also learning other cultures and tradition.

It is amazing that we were raised in different cultures and speak different languages but in a simple way we can communicate and understand each other. That is because we have a common language that we need to learn and speak -English.

The first day of school I feel like a high school student and so excited to go to class. Maybe because school has been a big part of my life. School classes are some of the missing pieces of it and I am glad with this ESOL program. Because I am a teacher I am not just learning a few subject but also the method and strategy of teaching. Although the class is informal, still I know I can learn a lot from the way our teacher teaches. It is so wonderful that I am not only focusing on the subject matter in order to learn but also on the way the subject matter is being delivered to the learner. And I think, there is some missing part of the strategy or maybe it is the way it should be here or maybe because it is an informal class.

Last week they started our oral exam, before I was asked to go to the testing area I noticed that some of my classmates who took the exam before me it takes them a few minutes. I told to my self that they are good and for sure I’m a little bit nervous about it. One of my seatmate took him a longer time to take the exam after he came back I ask him all about the exam and he said that they will just ask some question about your self your interest. And if you can’t understand or don’t know the answer you just skip the question. Luckily I got a nice question and answered it based from my opinion and ability. My oral examination is higher than the written exam and they suggested again that I should take the day class because they are offering a class suited for me. I declined because I wanted to work and I am just waiting for my Social Security number

I thought our exam were all finished but our grammar teacher announced that we will have a pretest and it covers chapter 1-11 of the book that we are using. So another two hour exam…last Thursday we check our own paper and to write down all our wrong answers so that we would be able to know the answer and what are the things that we did not understand most. So our teacher announces that we will start our lesson on chapter one. Because we started it on chapter 8, we skip some chapters and just continue the last topic that they have last semester. And personally I am confused how to construct the WH questions and the application of the grammar rules. Grammar is really one of the most difficult things to understand and to learn.

My teacher said that grammar can be learned through listening and speaking but how can I know that the sentences that I heard are correct or not? And I remembered that in sentence construction there will always be a rule to follow.
Sometimes we know how to speak but if we examine what we said we know that sometimes it is wrong. Just like I am when I am speaking tagalog. I know how to speak and I can understand it very well but if I'll apply the grammar on it I know I am speaking the wrong way.

I am grateful that Andrew is very supportive of the things I wanted to do. He usually drives me back and forth and he serves as my tutor whenever I am confused about grammar. And he is always there to explain to me very well when I am not satisfied with the explanation of my teacher and still confused of using the different tenses.

Andrew is almost finished with his online study on mortgage and he only has to finish the last online exam review. After that he can take the licensure examination to become a loan officer. And as of last night he is very happy to win the football fantasy game. It was his first win of the season and he was so happy about it. The Ifugao Headhunters won!!!!



We almost finished watching The Pretender. We still need to watch the movie. Jarod and Miss Parker have been a part of our night for the past two months. And we really enjoy watching this. We usually predict who is who and what really happened.

No comments: